Oh no, not another Brisket!!

Search any social media or video streaming service for BBQ and you'll no doubt run into brisket cooks.

In the US, Brisket is king, and considered the pinnacle of BBQ delicacies. Having sampled it in Canada, I can confirm it is something of a special taste and texture.

In the UK, Brisket is more challenging. The usual rolled up supermarket offerings are feared as trimmed, lean and inevitably dry results.

However that did not stop me from trying. I had a plan B. If it was too dry, then Sunday roast would have to include extra gravy.

I lit the UDS using the minion method (See earlier posts to see how this is done). The temperature was up to 270⁰f in no time.

I had prepared my UK supermarket brisket by first unrolling it (removing the butchers string). Then trimming any membrane but leaving a nice layer of fat running down one side..

I then smothered the whole joint in American mustard, and a good dusting of rub.

Meanwhile my UDS was up to temperature and with a sprinkling of apple wood chunks was producing a nice light blue-ish smoke from the top vents.

I smoked the beef for approx 3.5 hrs (resisting the temptation to open the lid or tinker with the temperature).
The temperature did fluctuate between 240 and 270, but I think this was down to the Big K charcoal I used. (First time I've tried it).

When my meat thermometer was reading 156⁰f for the internal temp of the joint, I decided to wrap the whole lot in tin foil and put it back on for another 2hrs.

After reaching the infamous 205⁰f (207⁰ really but what's a few ⁰s between friends?) I removed the joints from the grill.

After letting it sit for 15mins, I carved into it. Making sure to cut 'against the grain'. It could have easily been shredded to make pulled beef. Really soft and flakey.


There you have it. Supermarket Brisket done UK style. 🇬🇧 Let's hope there is some left for Sunday lunch. 

Comments