Rotisserie mod to UDS

I've considered a rotisserie for a while. Having seen many posts of delicious Chicken, Kellybab, Porchetta & Beef joints, I thought it time to set something up.

My options were to add a rotisserie ring to my Weber kettle or adapt my UDS to allow a unit to be bolted on.

A useful post on the UK UDS Facebook group gave me the answers that I needed.

First stage was to order a rotisserie from ebay. Quite a bargain for £30. 

Then the addition of some plumbing parts from B&Q.

The idea, to drill 22cm holes approx 20cm down from the lip of the drum smoker. This will hold the rotisserie bar, whilst allowing blanking nuts to be screwed on when the drum is in use as a UDS.

It was fairly easy then to line up the 'bolt on' bracket to hold the motor for the rotisserie bar.

Once all bolted and tightened up, the lid can still be placed on with all vents open to run hot during rotisserie cooks.

To test the set up, I 'spun' a chicken using the recommended set up by some experienced cooks on the UDS Facebook forum.

It took about 2hrs sitting at a steady 200⁰F to probe at 170⁰F at the thigh and breast.

I would have a picture of the finished chicken but it didn't last long enough as the family really enjoyed eating it before it had a chance to rest.

I hope this post helps anyone thinking of adding rotisserie to their tool box.

Comments